Tuesday, March 11, 2014

One of Those Days

Well it's been one of those days here at our home. Daylight Savings Time is a cruel joke and we've all been struggling to find our normal. The babies have been fighting a cold and I am still recovering from my melanoma surgery. I am feeling pretty good, but due to the fact that my wound is under tension (from the tissue they had to remove entirely) I still cannot lift over 10 pounds. I have two babies. One is 18 months and the other is 2 and both are over 20 pounds, so guess who has come to my rescue?

My 81 year old grandma. She's been here with me for the past two weeks or so and while it has been a humbling experience to ask my elderly grandma to do things for me, to lift the babies, change diapers put them to bed, etc, it has also been really nice having her here. She's amazing with my kids, and despite her age she can move and clean a house like nobody's business. She is the woman who raised me and as a kid I wasn't always so appreciative for all she did for us. I am grateful to have this chance with her now. She really is an amazing lady, and while I look forward to the day when I can lift my own babies again, I will miss her when she isn't here every day.

Back to today. The older three kids had a dental appointment this morning. I got up early, did my devotionals and ran downstairs to get a load of laundry going. On the way down the stairs I tripped on a pile of laundry and fell. After I sat and gathered myself I gave myself a once over and all was fine. I went in to Jacob's room to see why he was screaming, all the while hoping and praying Howard remembered to diaper him last night (story for another time). He had launched his pillow, blankets and stuffed animal out of the crib and was ready to get up. I asked Luke to get him up for me and put him on the changing table. I got him changed and Luke took him out to feed him breakfast.

Through blood, sweat and tears I got the other four children all ready brushed and flossed all teeth (albeit forgetting my own, GROSS I know), bags packed, grandma got here and we loaded up and headed on our way. The plan was to take the three inside for their cleanings and grandma would feed the babies their snack in the van while they waited.

Victoriously I pulled in to the dentist parking lot ten minutes early, proudly walked the kids in, hung up coats and told the receptionist our names....she looked at me strangely, which I've gotten more used to so I thought nothing of it until she said, "Um, Mrs. Bolte? Your appointment is tomorrow." I am sure she could see the look of sheer exhaustion in my face and she said, "Let me see what I can do". I waited and ultimately they offered to squeeze my three between patients but it could take a while to get them all done. I thanked them and turned to tell the kids I'd made a mistake. They took it well and I promised them lunch tomorrow. Guess today was a practice run. I won't say tears didn't fall as I climbed back into the van, tired, feeling defeated and sore, but I was quickly reminded that in the grand scheme, this was no big deal. It was an opportunity for a cup of coffee and TimBits for the kids. We enjoyed the sunny ride home and we'll do it all again tomorrow. :)

It's been a while since I've shared pictures so I thought I'd show you all how they've grown.

Choosing to count these sweet blessings today in spite of the rough day.  They sure do make each day brighter!

1 comment:

Carol Taylor said...

Awwwwww.....God bless Grannies! And God bless you, too! Hang in there!