Saturday, December 20, 2008

He Ate WHAT??!!

This afternoon I had a conversation I never imagined myself having. It went a little something like this...

Me: Hello?

Dr O.: Hi! This is Dr. O calling back. I got your message. Ben ate a what?!

Me: (in my totally mortified, I am a horrible parent voice) Um...he ate a Christmas light.

Dr.O.: You mean he pulled it out and swallowed it?

Me: Um, no. (that would not be Ben's style) He grabbed the strand and chomped it right off of it's socket.

Dr. O.: (in disbelief) Ok, what was it made of?

Me: Glass.

Dr. O.: Do you think it is in one piece?

Me: No, he chewed it up. That was how I caught him. I heard the crunching!

Dr. O.: Okay, well it is likely nothing to worry about but I want you to take him to the ER to be safe to get an X-ray and see what is going on. Take the lights with you so they know what to look for.

Me: Okay, thanks!

Yes folks, you read that right, my incredibly brilliant 2 year old child ate a Christmas light this afternoon, curtailing any plans we may have had to prepare for Howard's birthday tomorrow and Christmas that is just around the bend. Life is never dull a day in the Bolte household, especially not since Ben came along...that kid is going to be the cause of every gray hair on my head.

That phone call was followed by brushing and swishing glass out of his teeth (seriously who eats glass? AND did I mention there was not a cut in his little mouth?) two hours in the ER. Re explaining the story to a triage nurse, another nurse, a doctor and a radiologist. I felt like possibly the worst parent in the whole world, but come on, who thinks their kid is going to eat a light right off the strand!?

Those who know me, know I would make my kids wear a helmet 24/7 if Howard would allow, I am big on child safety and have childproofed my home (or so I thought!) I was mindful when decorating for the season of the fact that there is a two year old in our home. No one EVER warned me about a child eating a light right off the tree! Poinsettias, yes! Glass ornaments, YES! Hooks, Yes! It never occurred to me that he might think a light looked tasty and sneak a taste right from the tree!

I will say that I am so thankful for the triage nurse who did NOT look at us like we were nuts and just said "oh my son ate a couple last week". To which Ben said, "I ate RED!" and without missing a beat she said, "my son ate blue!". Even if she was lying to make us feel better...it worked! (although in reality, have other kids REALLY eaten Christmas lights?)

All of that said, despite the slivers of glass working their way through his digestive tract, he is expected to make a full recovery. We have to feed him lots of fiber, and "binding" foods?! I have cut the said light socket with the shards of glass he missed sticking out of it, out of the strand to tape into his baby book so he can remember what a "bright" kid he was! He gives a whole new meaning to "Let Your Light Shine" which is appropriately a verse displayed on the wall of our home! Maybe I should hang the broken light there!

25 comments:

Christy said...

ROFLMBO! Oh my goodnes girl! Now this IS one for the books (literally hehe). I have to say I've never heard of a child until Ben, actually eating a light OFF the strand!

You must have way too much fun with him! ROFL !! Like you EVER have a boring day!

Katie said...

that is too funny! glad he is okay though.

the*4*of*us said...

my kids have done some wild things, but nothing like eating a light bulb! I pray that it all moves out safely!

Suzie said...

I know I should not be laughing right now, but come on...a light bulb...That Ben. He is something else. Definately never a dull moment at your house. I hope Lil BRIGHT Ben makes a full recovery without any problems from the bulb. (hehe- sorry, still laughing!) I love ya girl. Miss ya

Emily said...

I am sorry, Kristy, but this is soooo funny... in hindsight of course. :) Glad he's okay!!

Sheryl said...

ok...is it wrong that this might be my favorite post of all time! i was cringing at the description but laughing out loud by the time i was finished!! that is a priceless story. so glad he is ok though. and you are a GREAT mom.

thanks for the laugh - sorry it was at your expense.

love ya

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, this is hilarious! So glad that Ben is okay-- and you are a great mother! Merry Christmas to all of you!

Liz in Michigan

Laura said...

Oh my...a good distraction for you and a great story to tell at his rehearsal dinner. Hope you went to bed smiling tonight! Praying for you.

Gabbin' with Giff said...

Absolutely hilarious!!! Can't stop laughing on that one!

Devon Rene said...

ok, that is just plain hilarious!! i am totally laughing out loud here at my house!

oh dear, i can only imagine the looks.....

gotta love two-year-olds...so glad he isokay!

sumi said...

Oh my! How funny! I think Ben's even got my middle son beat with this one, and believe me, that is quite a feat!

Definitely something you can embarrass him with when he is older. Heehee!

Barb said...

Xmas eating......
One of my rels ate a packet of cherry bulb replacements 5 i think at the age of 3! resulting in trip to ER etc - you know how that goes they are 18 now and all is well, we dont let them forget it though lol! and when i worker in a respite centre imagine my surprise when a toddler pooed tinsel! about 30 cm long, his mum forgot to tell us that he had eaten it at home! she figured it would just come out the other end!

Ben was not the first and wont be the last!
merry xmas lol

Nicole said...

When I first starting reading your post; all I could say was "NO WAY?!" That's a first in my book - can't say that I've ever heard of that one before. Too funny!!! I chuckled throughout the whole post. Glad he's ok and I pray that he will be as the "this little light of mine" passes through his little body. Hope you have an uneventful Christmas!

I also hope you're feeling well these days!

Take care, Nicole

Lizze said...

Wow. I'm floored! And a little scared, not of you or anything, but because your Ben sounds a lot like my Elliott Richard and I didn't think Christmas lights were a threat either...until now. Wow...

I pray that Ben makes a speedy recovery! I also pray that the rest of your holiday season passes without anymore missing lights etc. ;)

Laurie in Ca. said...

Oh this is a crack up and the triage nurse was great. On a serious note (not really:) What kind of light bulb was it? Twinkle light one or the old fashioned nightlight sized ones? Just curious:) Hope it was a twinkle sized one, less glass to move through!! You are a great mom Kristy! Oh, one more question, were these lights plugged in and ON when he ate it?? Now that could have really lit him up.!!:) So glad that he is okay, really. Have a great day my friend.

Laurie

Elisha said...

OH MY! I dont even have words! lol. Yeah the thought that my kids could or would eat the christmas lights never crossed my mind either! Glad that he is alright and now you have me thinking what else in my house may not be safe.lol.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!! Kristy, Ben is CRAZY! I say that in the most loving way possible! I do like that you are making "light" of it! Ben will love to hear that story over and over again, when he is 16...just think you can get him back:)in teasing!
Love ya, Lannea

Stacey in WA said...

I just got online to search and see if Normal Children ate christmas lights I have a 4 almost 5 year old named what else Ben...and he ate lights off the strand that we put in his bedroom window tonight. Reading that it has happened to other parents is conforting I do not feel as horrible about my parenting as I did before...Good luck.

Melissa Dovel said...

Kristy,

All kidding aside im sure you were VERY concerned! I am glad to hear they think its not a big deal:) I will tell you that last year when Em. was not quite 2 she took a bite out of a brilliant bright red glass bulb ornimant from the tree (im thinking she thought it was an apple)! Then I had another proud moment when Maddy stuck a bead up her nose on mothers day that required forseps (sp) to remove. I know we can child proof to no end and they WILL find something.

Blessings and Merry Christmas
Melissa

amanda said...

YES!!! My daughter did the exact same thing when she was 2 yrs old the exact same way you have described the mom viewpoint and everything!! She ate a clear one-LOL! I will not ever forget either! I just couldn't believe she ate a Chrsstmas light bulb of all things!

She's 5 now, and I have a lot of gray hair!

AngelaMB30 said...

OMG! I would totally be LOL if Glen was not asleep! Seth has done this just today (I caught him just in time- it was in 2 pieces) and I know the panic and then the laughter after you know your boy is going to be okay. Sounds like our 2 yr olds could be partners in crime,if only we lived closer.
Oh, Kristy, there is never a dull moment, huh?

Ruth said...

I am a researcher on a television special about kids who swallow unusual objects. I'd love to talk to you about your experience! Please email me and let me know the best way to reach you. oneill_ruth@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Sharalea said...

Your blog post made me feel better--I just googled "child ate glass Christmas light" and found this blogpost :)

MY 3 1/2 year old just did the EXACT same thing. Thanks for making me feel a little bit MORE normal. ALthough, of course, we know...this is more UNcommon than common!

Mom of Doozer said...

I was googling "child ate christmas lights" today and this came up, making me feel better, as we are fairly certain that my 3 year old did just that. Ugh. So stressed.........

Raising Hill said...

Just came across this after googling "kid just ate Christmas light." My 4 year old just did the same thing! I'm so glad I'm not alone!!