Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial Day According to Ben


Friday I took my little ginger haired babes to the grocery store to pick up a few things for the upcoming Memorial Day festivities. Ben noticed that Giant Eagle was decked out in red, white and blue...here is the conversation that followed:

Ben: Mom, why exactly do we celebrate Memorial Day?

Me: Because it is a day to honor and celebrate the brave men and women who fight for our country to keep us safe and free. We remember the men and women who died for our county and celebrate and honor those who fight for us today.

Ben: Oh, I get it...like Jesus.

Me: Not exactly buddy, the men and women I am talking about are the soldiers who fight in wars to keep us safe.

Ben: Well I sure am thankful for them, but if you ask me, Jesus fought the most important war ever.


My jaw dropped and I gasped trying to think of what to add...I had nothing. Sometimes we wonder how much of what we are teaching the kids sinks in and then moments like this come up and remind us just how much they really are grasping. I am with Ben, VERY thankful for all of the service men and women who sacrifice SO much to protect this country, and also VERY thankful for Jesus who fought and won the most important war ever.


1 comment:

Kelly L said...

Getting the word out.. still and again for Haley - today she is in the hospital receiving yet again another blood transfusion - She needs a bone marrow transplant - Please go to her Facebook page and like it - if you can donate - Please say "I want to donate" and I will contact you with all you need. thank you - Kelly
Sunday Post
Haley's Facebook Page
I've Become My Mother
I've Become My Mother facebook