Wednesday, February 11, 2009

An Unexpected Struggle

UPDATE:

Hello! I just wanted to thank you all for your kind words and support. We have spent the past couple of days talking about and praying about this situation and we are feeling great peace about it all. Like I said before...I do understand the March of Dimes position on this! When we speak, we are welcome to talk about God and His role in our story, but our dvd will be seen often without our presence and so it will be seen as a March of Dimes resource. They have to take a neutral side when it comes to religion, and we do understand that and we do still believe what they are doing is vital. And we believe God's work in our lives will be seen regardless of what words are used or are not used. God doesn't need words to do His work. He is WAY bigger than all of that!

God calls us to be the salt and the light and if we back away each time we come against resistance we are not doing all we can to share God with the masses. Sometimes we are called to push past the resistance in order to glorify God. We are called to be a light in a dark world, and we feel that this is a position that will allow God's light to shine through us for many to see.

I know a few of you have emailed me your concerns about the March of Dimes stand on abortion, and after looking into the issue, I have found that they don't support either side. You can find information either way and I know for a fact that the work the March of Dimes has done has saved babies and that they do not advocate abortion, it is true that they also do not condemn it, but just like religion and politics, they take a neutral stand.

In praying about all of this we are really still very excited to have been chosen for this important role and we do feel that we can honor God in it. Howard's words were so true. Sometimes words just are not necessary. God will be seen. We have learned that often times it is our actions rather than our words that display God's love most accurately and powerfully. He is bigger than all of this and His mighty hand will be seen.

Colossians 4:6 "Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man."




I am having a difficult time today and it is actually not for reasons you might think...(ultrasound). As most of you know we were chosen as the ambassador family for the March of Dimes for our area. We could not be more thrilled and honored that we were thought of for this role. We adore the March of Dimes and their goals. They are a fantastic organization.

So I was a little taken back today when I received a call concerning the photos I sent in for our slideshow. We were asked to compile pictures of our family to tell our story. I spent a weekend two weeks ago getting pictures scanned and uploaded and then editing and adding text to them, I was so very pleased with the outcome. It told our story, God's story perfectly. So today when I was told that because the March of Dimes as an organization does not take a stand on things political or religious, my photos would have to be edited to remove the text praising God for the beauty in our story, I have to admit that I was stunned.

This is the first time ever since I have become a follower of Christ that I have ever had anything like this happen, or been told I needed to leave God out of my story. The person I spoke on the phone with was wonderful, she completely understands where we are coming from, and I could tell she was concerned with how I would feel, I know this decision is not hers to make, and so I got off the phone as quickly as I could. I do understand the position that the March of Dimes is taking and I do fully respect their position, yet it feels very wrong to tell our story leaving God out. God is our story. I got off the phone and just cried out of frustration. I know fully that no one intended to insult us or hurt us and yet something about it all just feels wrong. I get that the March of Dimes does not support any particular religion, yet this is OUR story not theirs and our faith and our God are huge

I called Howard because he is always my voice of reason. He listened to me blubber over the phone about how frustrated I felt and how I felt that leaving the scripture and text out of the slideshow would not do justice to the story God is writing. He assured me that even without the text that God could be seen. He reminded me that sometimes words aren't even necessary. When we speak at some of the events we are permitted to tell our story making no exception for God and I guess I am going to just have to be ok with that.

It just is not setting well with me right now and I am asking for your prayer on this issue. Our only goal in all of this is to glorify God and if we cannot do that, then what is the point? God has done amazing things in our lives. Things that only He could do, He has brought beauty out of intense suffering in our lives and I just want to be sure to give credit where credit is due. This story we are living is written fully by Him and it seems wrong to leave him out of the credits.

All of that said, I DO still firmly believe in the mission of the March of Dimes and I do believe they are a fantastic organization. I also completely understand their position, they are reaching out to the masses and don't want to alienate anyone, I am just really struggling with how to deal with it on a personal level.