Monday, July 27, 2009

Happy Birthday Benjamin






I think maybe because I am so very aware of the gift each of my children are, I get very excited about celebrating their birthdays. I am so thankful for each day and today my little Benjamin turned three!

Three years ago, Benjamin Oliver Bolte entered the world after a quick and intense labor. He was 8 lb 6 oz, and 21 inches long. The largest of all of my babies BY FAR! I will never forget the nurse handing him to me and saying "uh-oh looks like you've got a redhead". I remember thinking, that she couldn't be right, I denied it for weeks and months, but now, there is just no denying it. Ben is a redhead through and through, and I would not have it any other way!

Friday we went to the local Fireman's carnival for a little while and Ben was certain that his party was "startin' up". He was sure that carnival was ALL for him! Who were we to argue? He is a special kid! He had a great time riding rides and playing games.

Saturday was his party. We had a big picnic and were so happy to spend time with some of our family and friends. Ben was over the moon excited about playing with his friends and opening gifts. It really was a true joy to watch him open each gift. Though we have a basement overflowing with toys, he acted as if each new toy was the greatest thing he had ever seen.

In TRUE "Ben fashion" after blowing out his number three candle on his cupcake, he went to lick the frosting off and, yes, he took a huge bite of the candle! ONLY BEN! He then realized he did not care much for the taste of candlewax an proceeded to spit it out into my waiting hand.

He had a great party. Today, for his REAL birthday, when he woke up I told him he could have ANY breakfast he wanted and he chose popsicles and eggs! Again, who am I to argue with such a request, so popsicles and eggs were had by all, (I mean, it could have been worse right? Eggs are a typical breakfast food and popsicles...well that is almost fruit or juice or something. At least that is what I told myself)! We then decided to head to Chuck E Cheese for lunch where we had a great time playing and eating. After that we decided that since Ben had gotten so many toys, and needed NOTHING else, instead of getting him gifts ourselves, we would take him to the pet store to pick out a new fish for our fish tank. Ben felt sorry for the "feeder fish" and decided he must have a 12 cent fish. We splurged and let him get three since he turned three! :-) They are now happily swimming around in their new home.

We then came home and had a little DQ cake and played and watched movies. He is now sleeping in my bed next to me as I type and I am so grateful that the Lord chose that boy to be a part of our family! I honestly don't know what I would have done some of the days in the past year or two without that crazy boy. He wears me out but man he makes me laugh. I have decided the next few posts will highlight the blessing that Benjamin is to our family! Stay tuned. I am sure you will be blessed by him as well!



18 comments:

A said...

Happy Birthday Benjamin! He is so stinkin' cute!!! :) Glad you had such a great couple birthday days with him! :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like one wonderful birthday for a 3 year old. I like how you let them pick the breakfast and I love what Ben picked out!

Penny said...

Happy birthday, Ben! I, for one, LOVE your red hair. I also love the expression on his face over his gifts. Precious little boy! =)

Just Me said...

Happy Birthday Ben! He DOES look like he got excited over every single gift...that is awesome! Too funny about the candle! And, great idea about letting him pick breakfast :o)

Looking forward to reading more about the blessings your third son has brought you, as well as the adventures he has created (will you be re-visiting the story of the Christmas lights?! ha ha!)

Glad you had such a wonderful few days to celebrate Ben's special day.

Take care,
Amanda

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

happy Birthday...What great pictures...

Lauren said...

What a fun birthday weekend! I love the eggs and popsicles.

PS - the 27th is my husbands b-day too!

Becky said...

Happy birthday Ben! I have two redhead grand daughters - not quite as obvious as Ben is though! Baby sister might also turn into a redhead! In pictures, she looks like a miniBen!

Melanie said...

what a sweet birthday! Happy Birthday Ben!!

Staci said...

Happy 3rd Birthday Benjamin! I had to smile when I read about taking a bite out of the birthday candle because I was thinking of your post when you said he ate the Christmas lights. Then I came here to comment and saw that Amanda at "Just Me" was thinking the same thing :) So, wax is out but glass is good. He certainly does bring adventure into your life doesn't he :)

Tara said...

Happy Birthday Benjamin. He is so cute! I love the red hair....I have a gorgeous red head myself!

He looks so happy and excited for those presents! What a fun filled day!

Mama10EE said...

You can see the look of wonder on his eyes with every present! What a doll....he is one month younger than our precious three year old. He's absolutely adorable, and I LOVE his red hair! I loved that you let him pick out breakfast...I may have to do that for Morgan next year. What a great tradition.

asplashofsunshine said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE GUY! Such a genuine smile... hope he had a fabulous day!

Devin said...

Those pics of his face opening gifts are priceless! You can just tell how much he is 'ooohing and aaaahing' over each one! I love it.

You know, it is so funny--when Colin was born, he had a tint of red in his hair too--and everyone, esp. my MIL, made sure to tell me about it. I was in absolute denial about it too, until I realized how rare and cute it was! Now I am thrilled to have not one but 2 strawberry blondes in my house!

Love ya girl--thanks for remembering me in prayer today!

Tiffany said...

My goodness!! He reminds me SO much of my oldest boy, Alex! He will be 3 in September! They sound like 2 peas in a pod. Too cute! Happy Birthday Ben! [Even though I am a day late!]

Allison said...

Sounds like an awesome bday! And I love the new look on the blog. :)

Susan said...

The look on his face as he opened his gifts was awesome! Glad he had such a nice birthday.

TheOilHippie said...

Aww sounds like a wonderful day. I absolutely love redheads. My Kenz started life as a redhead but almost all of the red is gone and he is just a sandy blonde. I really wanted the red to stay - he has the personality of a red head anyway. Ben seems like such a doll.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to Benjamin!

I just thought you'd find interest in knowing that there is another christian family who had lost 1 baby at birth and has a 5 month old baby, Jonah, who was born with EB (link to their blog is below in case you are interested). I just thought it may be a nice place to go to for support.
http://patriceandmattwilliams.blogspot.com/