Tuesday, February 5, 2008

And still....He says "Be still."

So I just got Ben down for his nap and Luke is putting on a show in front of the TV with his Star Station and I sat down to read my daily devotional from Streams in the Desert. As I began to read I chuckled a little. Here is what it said:

"You will not leave in haste." Isaiah 52:12
It went on to say...

"I do not believe we have even begun to understand the wonderful power there is in being still. We are in such a hurry always doing , that we are in danger of not allowing God the opportunity to work. You may be sure that god will never say to us, "Stand Still", "Sit Still", or "Be Still," unlessHe is going to do something. This is our problem regarding the Christian life, we want to do something to be Christians, instead of allowing Him to work in us."

Wow, we are back to that again! I do find comfort in these words though...I have every confidence that the Lord is not asking this of me with out a plan for Him to DO something! Patience is not a strong point of mine but I am learning. Some days it still pains me to try and be still, but I am doing better with each day. I am so thankful that God does plan to DO something because it is clear that there is NOTHING we can do!

The devotion ended with this poem which I also wanted to share:

Sit still, my children! Just sit calmly still!
Nor deem these days-these waiting days-as ill!
The One who loves you best, who plans your way,
Has not forgotten your great need today!
And, if He waits, it's sure He waits to prove
To you, His tender child, His heart's deep love.

Sit still, my children! Just sit calmly still!
You greatly long to know your dear Lord's will!
While anxious thoughts would almost steal their way
Corrodingly within, because of His delay-
Persuade yourself in simple faith to rest
that He, who knows and loves, will do the best.

Sit still, my children! Just sit calmly still!
Nor move one step, not even one, until
His way has opened. Then, ah, then how sweet!
How glad your heart, and then how swift your feet,
Your inner being then, ah then, how strong!
And waiting days not counted then too long.

Sit still, my daughter! Just sit calmly still!
What higher service could you for Him fill?
It's hard! Ah yes! But choicest things must cost!
For lack of losing all how much is lost!
It's hard, it's true! But then - He gives you grace
To count the hardest spot the sweetest place.

Written by: J. Danson Smith

So, again I pray and again He says "BE STILL!"

1 comment:

Kenzie said...

I just received this devotional from a friend of a friend. Thank you for referring to it... when I received it I thought of you and knew the book would be great!

Thank you!

Love and praying,
Kenzie